Through a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental sculpting, people develop a half- full or half-empty perspective of the world. Adopting a half-empty view of the world impacts how you experience the world and can lead you to be unhappy and stressed. If you tend to notice and ruminate over negative events, you are more likely to experience the world in a more threatening manner than those who focus on positive situations.
5 Things you can do to increase positive thought patterns
- Keep a diary of positive events
- Find something to be grateful for every day no matter how small or big
- Observe and suspend judgment about objects or situations
- Share positive messages on Facebook
- Send a thank you note once per month
Breaking bad habits does not happen overnight, there are no magic pills for changing brain patterns that have become ingrained and affect how we live and experience our lives. Be consistent and insist on looking for the positive side of every situation you encounter.